Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

LTU Defeats Crimson Wave 7-2 to Open 2018 Blue Devil Classic

Southfield, Mich.- The Lawrence Technological University (Mich.) men's soccer team defeated Calumet College of St. Joseph (Ind.) in the opening game of the 2018 Blue Devil Classic with a score of 7-2. The Blue Devils had the possession of the ball throughout the 90-minutes of the game. LTU also outshoot the Crimson Wave 29-6 and lead the corner kicks 12-1.

LTU player Kevin Wright (JR/Linden, Mich.) scored a hat-trick and assisted Alvaro Merino(FR/Colmenar Viejo, Madrid, Spain) on the fifth goal of the match. The other Blue Devils that scored were Nicolas Rodriguez-Bermejo (JR/Madrid, Spain), Ryan Resendes(JR/Windsor, Ontario, Canada), and Tyler Gregory (SO/Livonia, Mich.).

The first goal of the match arrived on the sixth minute when Wright seized the opportunity to send the ball to the back of the net after goalkeeper Roy Gean blocked a pass from Rodriguez-Bermejo. Wright scored once again two minutes later with a scissor kick after Sean Humphries (FR/Benoni, South Africa) served a corner kick from the right end of the field to give LTU the 2-0 lead. The third goal of the afternoon arrived when Rodriguez-Bermejo shot inside the left post after an assist from Gregory. The Blue Devils went to halftime with a lead of 3-0.

LTU scored the fourth goal of the game 4 minutes into the second half with a header of Wright after receiving an assist by Alvaro Alaman (SO/Madrid, Spain) from the right side of the field. Seven minutes later, Wright assisted Merino, who shot just inside the left post, to give the Blue Devils the 5-0 lead. LTU amplified the scoreboard in the 65th minute when Resendes shot inside the right post of the goal after an assist from Alaman.

Calumet College reduced the distance in the scoreboard by scoring two goals in the 15 following minutes. Austin Aguilera, assisted by Devin Dawkins, scored the first goal in the 70th minute. Nemanja Stefanovic scored the second goal for Calumet in the 79th minute with a free kick on the left side from 25 yards away.

In the 87th minute, Gregory, assisted by Matthew Sherman (SO/Pinckney, Mich.), scored the last goal of the match to give the Blue Devils the final lead of 7-2.

The Blue Devils will be back in action tomorrow, September 8 at LTU Athletic Field in the Championship game. They will face the winner of the match between Point Park University (Pa.) and Huntington University (Ind.). The match is scheduled to start at 5:00 PM.

Lawrence Tech asked Head Coach William Dyer about his thoughts on the game. Here is what he had to say about it:

"[We] need to play simple, we should have had a clean sheet shutout. We need to be unselfish with the ball, our bench needs to come in and play at a higher standard. We need a better overall performance. Happy we won the game".